Thursday, January 26, 2012

two steps back

Sometime between my last post and now, I developed some knee and ankle pain. I don't exactly know what's going on, but I'm not happy about it.

Running outside in the winter is hard on the joints, no doubt. I'd usually spend more time running on the grass next to the sidewalk when possible, but the frozen ground is just as tough on the joints as cement this time of year. Perhaps worse, it seems, as the ground is uneven and ankle rolls are more likely.

Except for the anticipated soreness, my joints were fine for the first couple weeks. Then the pain slowly crept on, mostly in my left knee and right ankle. It hurt the most going down hill. The pain never got excruciating, but it was enough to slow me way down (too stubborn to ever stop and walk). It's kind of hard to describe, but it wasn't always the pain that slowed me down, but often my lack of stability, like my bones were all out of alignment. In the hours following runs, I could barely climb stairs, or bend my knee to get in my car. Walking became quite a chore.

In the last week, I've spent a bit more time stretching after runs, and I've been icing my joints. Ibuprofen is magical - although I've been trying to run without it so I can actually tell if I'm hurting myself or getting better. It has improved a bit, but I still don't feel 100%. The feeling that you could go faster, if only it weren't for joint pain, is really frustrating.

So, as it was clear it wasn't going to go away on its own, I made an appointment with my doctor. My doctor referred me to a physical therapist. I had my first meeting with the PA on Tuesday. She observed how I walked, testing my flexibility and strength. I learned that one of my feet slightly turns out (although not enough to require orthotics), my hips are tight, and my knee is creaking. She recommended some stretches and strength building exercises. She didn't tell me that I needed to stop running (*phew*), but did suggest that I cut back a bit. I don't know, you guys... it sucks to hear this. I'm scheduled to see the PA every week through February.

Today was a rest day, and I did some hip-opening yoga. It felt amazing. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow and decide whether or not to do the full 4-mile run. I'm not intentionally trying to rebel or hurt myself, but I stubbornly believe I know my own body. I'll take it day by day.

So frustrating. I just want to go back to improving my times.

No comments:

Post a Comment