Thursday, January 12, 2012

we have been through worse than this, and we will live to laugh 'bout this

When I woke up this morning, I realized I didn't have my usual breakfast available, so I improvised with what I had and came up with banana pancakes and maple syrup. It was delicious, but I should know better than to switch up my routine before a run.

After breakfast, I headed to the grocery store, and the snow really started to come down. Concerned that it might get out of control, as it is January and Vermont is ripe for a snowstorm, the decision was made to start running as soon as possible.

So, about 2 hours after my filling breakfast, dressed and ready to head out the door, my stomach began to groan and grumble. This was not a good sign. I told LTB to start without me, as I was afraid of traveling too far from my bathroom. Alone in the apartment, I paced back and forth, in a bit of a panic. I felt like I really needed to get the run done before there was more than a couple inches of snow, but I am seriously afraid of having an emergency situation in the middle of a run. The fear makes my stomach feel worse, of course. It's a vicious cycle.

After hyperventilating for a few minutes, I sucked it up and made my way out the door and into the snow. Within a minute into the run, I forgot there was ever a problem.

The snow really wasn't too bad. The sidewalk was completely covered with about a inch of powder, but it wasn't too slick. It was kind of like running on sand - easier on the joints, but it also felt like it slowed me down and took more energy. All the better for training.

I got my new headphones today! These ear buds, to be exact. They're fantastic. So comfortable, great sound, and (sort of) noise canceling so I can keep the levels at a reasonable volume (does that make me sound old? whatever, ask me about my experience with tinnitus). AND, they stay in place, in my ear the whole run. This is huge. Not a lot of earphones do that for me and my tiny ears.

Oh, running with music is so much better. So much more fun and motivating. Currently, this is my favorite energy-boosting tune that I can rely on to move my feet to a sprint for the last half mile or so: Me Vs. Angry Mob, by The World/Inferno Friendship Society. I feel like I'm right there with Jack Terricloth, being chased down the street by an angry mob, hopping fences and running through restaurants. And, oh, that horn line! Puts a goofy smile on my face, every time.


Get home safely
I will, I do, I always do

My time today was 40 minutes - stuck at that 10 minute/mile pace. Oh, it's a bit frustrating. I know I can't expect that I'll jump right back into 8 minute miles after being so lazy for the last year. But, I think back to the week before the 2010 marathon, when we were in the tapering phase and the 4-mile run felt like the Easiest Thing Ever, and my time was far closer to 30 minutes than 40 minutes. I'm only on week 2. Only week 2. I have to keep that in mind. No point in feeling bad about it, but at the same time, it is motivating to know that I'm Capable of much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment