Thursday, January 5, 2012

Week 1 of Training: Building the Base

Welcome to The Pensive Runner, a blog where I will write about all my trials and tribulations in training for the Burlington City Marathon, my second try at a marathon. I started this blog for a few reasons: I enjoy writing, I would like to keep record of what does and doesn't work, to help out other runners, and also so I have something to think about while I'm running. During my four-mile run today, I essentially wrote out this entire blog in my head. It made the time fly.

My first marathon was in 2010, also in Burlington. My time was 4:19 (9:50/mile). That's me in the yellow, #2069.*

For this year's marathon, I'm really hoping to break the 4 hour mark (aiming for 9-minute miles). I'm optimistic. During the 2010 marathon, I was at that pace until about mile 18, when I hit the wall. I stopped and walked. This is the second half of my goal for the 2012 marathon: run the entire time.

I have a few plans on how to reach my goals this year. Although I hardly ran at all during 2011, I do not feel as though I am starting from scratch. I learned a lot in 2010 that I will apply this year.

One of the biggest issues in 2010 was that I never completed a 20-mile run during training. I stopped and walked every time, and it was always for the same reason: severe stomach issues. This is something I will have to work on a lot more this year, and it likely will come up a lot in this blog.

Another big change this year is that I'm hoping to do as much training as possible outside. In 2010, there was a *ton* of treadmill running. It just isn't the same thing. The race it outside, you should train outside.

As a resident of Vermont, running outside is easier said than done. During this first week of training, I have run in 7-degree weather, and on 2 inches of snow. Dressing appropriately has made a huge difference, and something that I could not have done without shopping at Good Will. Some may feel weird about buying used workout gear, but seriously folks, I purchased what would retail for around $200 for about $20. Winter running tights, high-tech polyester shirts, gore-tex-like jackets, etc. This is a helpful link for figuring out what to wear based on the temperature. It's all personal preference, of course, but a good starting point for someone who is as new to winter running as I am.

So, I'll run outside when possible. There's a gym nearby that is pay-as-you-go (something like $8 a visit), so that's always an option when the snow gets ridiculous. Because that will happen, no doubt.

This first week is a base-building week. This means that, before you can start training for a marathon, you should be able to comfortably run 20 miles a week. That's what I learned from The Competitive Runner's Handbook, anyway. So, the month of January is devoted to just that: running 20 miles a week, or 4 miles a day 5 days a week (might change that to 5 miles a day 4 days a week towards the end of the month). Actual training will not begin until February. I'll get more into the training plan I'll be using in future posts.

This week has been tough. Like I mentioned, I have not run much at all in the past year. The first run (Sunday, New Year's Day) was brutal, although I did manage to run the entire time. I was very, very sore. Still am sore, mostly in the calves. It's kind of enjoyable in a way, like I feel like I've accomplished something. I suppose all marathon runners are a bit masochistic, eh? One more run this week, and then it's onto base week #2. My goal is that by the end of the month to be able to do a 4-mile run in under 32 minutes (8min/mile). My first run was about 45 minutes. I know I can do much better than that.

Before I end this first post, I just want to add that I am in no way a professional athlete (if that wasn't obvious!), and I am not in any position to be giving advice on training. All I can do is observe what works for me. I viewed myself as a very non-athletic person for a long time, mostly because I dislike team sports. Although I certainly do not have a "runner's body" (I think I'm about 15 pounds over the "ideal" marathon runner weight, and I'm totally fine with that), long-distance running is a good fit for my lifestyle and personality, and I'm glad it found it's way into my life.


*I would like to note that the green bibs indicate relay racers, i.e., people who only run a portion of the marathon. One of my frustrations with the Burlington marathon is running side-by-side with the relay racers. It can be a bit discouraging to be hitting the wall on your 20th mile and seeing people fly by you because they just jumped into the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment