Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I won't do what you tell me, KNEES

I can't tell if my knee is getting better or not. Well, my left knee, which was originally the reason I went to my doctor, feels great now. Now it's my right knee that is killing me. I told my physical therapist this, and we were both stumped as to how this happened.

On Tuesday, my PT put some tape on my knee in a funny design. I had not realized there was such an art to this. She used a fancy type of tape that will stay on my knee for several days, through showers and all. My Wednesday run felt a lot better. I really felt like it was all getting worked out and I could cancel the rest of my PT appointments. Today I thought I'd give LTB's knee compression wrap a shot, as he didn't need it and I was feeling desperate for quick fixes. Unfortunately, it made my knee feel a lot worse -- probably the worst it's ever felt. I've since stretched, iced, and took some Aleve, and now it's feeling fine.

I'm sick of this.

In my unprofessional opinion, I think the wrap made my knee feel worse because it forced my leg to stay straighter and bend in a weird fashion, which I think only served to exaggerate the way my foot slightly turns out when I run. But, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I'll keep on doing the exercises and stretches recommended by my PT. Tomorrow is a rest day, and I plan on practicing some serious yoga. Even with the pre and post-run stretching, my legs feel so incredibly tight. It's ridiculous. I have to think that this is part of the problem.

I'm glad my PT hasn't recommended that I stop running completely, and didn't tell me to cut down my runs during the last visit. My doctor didn't seem too concerned, and didn't do any x-rays or MRIs. Of course, I have to go and read a bunch of medical articles on the internet, self-diagnose, and convince myself that I need surgery and I'll soon be unable to walk. The internet is a dangerous place, people. I suppose I should trust the professionals to do what they do.

As for running times, even when I'm in pain I'm hovering around 37-38 minutes for the 4-mile run. I had one 35-minute run last week, which I was happy about and felt like I could have continued if not for these frustrating joints. I'm stubborn about running the entire time, and I've nearly made it through the month of base training - just two more 4-mile runs this week. The real training begins next week.

I realize I haven't shared the training plan with this blog yet! So, I'm going with the 3 days a week, "Train Less, Run Faster" program. Yup, only three days a week, with cross-training 2-3 days a week. I plan on doing A LOT of power yoga. I really think this plan will be beneficial for my joints, and I'm excited about the transition. I have definitely noticed that my knee(s) feel a whole lot better after taking a day off, and this program will allow for 1-2 days off between every run. Never running 2 days in a row. I think this is what my body wants.

Let's not forget about the music. No contest, the best music for running through the pain like the obstinate runner I am: Rage Against the Machine.

I swear, this song comes on my mp3 player and I my legs turn from agonizing stumps to limbs of an olympic athlete. I also appreciate how long this track is, as compared to my playlist's bookending 2-minute punk rock tunes.



Oh, Tom Morello, you slay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment