Saturday, May 26, 2012

Get me to the finish line, Lady Gaga

This time tomorrow, the marathon will be over. Ready or not, I'm running 26.2 miles.

I'm feeling pretty great, actually.  For the last couple runs this week, I felt energized, light on my feet, and more excited than panicked.  The speed training on Wednesday involved a series of 400 meter sprints, which I ran faster than I have throughout this entire training.  Each 400 around 1:40-1:50 -- not terribly fast for a sprinter, but great for me.

Sporting my new KBVCM shirt before my final run
Today I did a quick 3-mile run.  They say it's good to run the day before the race, so I saved this one for today.  I was supposed to run it at my planned marathon pace, which felt soooo slow for a 3-mile run.

It's fairly warm and humid again today (around 80° right now), and breathing wasn't entirely comfortable.
Tomorrow's high is 76 and partly cloudy.  It looks like it'll be in the 50s for the start of the run, which is absolutely perfect.  I'm grateful.  The hard thing with this training is that the majority of it seemed to be in the winter, or at least cool spring weather.  I don't feel like I've had enough time to get used to running in the heat.  I'm not quite sure how to deal with this for future marathons, when we may not be so lucky with the weather.

The rest of this day will involve consuming tons of water and gatorade, eating carbs, stretching, and not doing much else.

For the marathon, I decided that I'm going to listen to music for the last half.  Last time, I didn't listen to music at all, believing the crowd would adequately energize me.  Unfortunately, after 13 or so miles, the cheers from the bystanders become more annoying than motivating, and I mostly want to be left alone.  The idea is that when I start up my playlist, it will reset my mindset.

Behind the cut is my well thought out, tested throughout training, and slightly embarrassing list of songs that will get me to to the finish line.  I've never listened to so much pop music before this year's training.  At least I balanced it out with some pre-nose-job Hole.

This two-hour long play list will not be played in order.  I'm all about the shuffle.  You know, the list seems to be too short, but Spotify says it's 2 hours.  It is somehow comforting that 2 hours of music doesn't look like that much.

I think I may need to go back and add some Dolly Parton.


Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
Lady Gaga – Poker Face
Lady Gaga – Born This Way
Lady Gaga – Paparazzi
Lady Gaga – Telephone
World Inferno/Friendship Society, The – Brother of the Mayor of Bridgewater
World Inferno/Friendship Society, The – Me V. Angry Mob
World Inferno/Friendship Society, The – Only Anarchists Are Pretty
Rage Against The Machine – Take The Power Back
Rage Against The Machine – Killing In The Name
Rage Against The Machine – Down Rodeo
Rage Against The Machine – Renegades Of Funk
Rage Against The Machine – Sleep Now In The Fire
Florence + The Machine – Dog Days Are Over
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Date With The Night
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Honeybear
WILD FLAG – Future Crimes
Sleater-Kinney – Not What You Want
Sleater-Kinney – Dance Song '97
The White Stripes – Little Cream Soda
The White Stripes – Rag And Bone
Hole – Babydoll
Hole – Loaded
Le Tigre – TKO
Le Tigre – The The Empty
Gossip – Heavy Cross
Ke$ha – Blow
Ke$ha – TiK ToK
The Faint – Agenda Suicide
The Faint – Glass Danse
Wham! – Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Goldfrapp – Ooh La La
Survivor – Eye Of The Tiger
Kim Wilde – Kids in America
David Bowie – Modern Love - 1999 Digital Remaster
Blondie – Call Me

Oh jesus, I can't believe I really put Eye of the Tiger on this list. The song is incredibly motivating.  You can't deny that.

1 comment:

  1. Nice playlist :)
    I also have a lot of Lady Gaga. I like Pink and La Roux on mine too.

    Kick ass tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete